1. This Agreement is entered into between Jade E-Services South Africa (Pty) Ltd t/a Jumia South Africa (“Jumia”), a limited liability company incorporated under the laws of the Republic of South Africa and having its principal place of business located at 97 Durham Avenue, Salt River and the Vendor.
2. Jumia owns and operates an internet based Platform in South Africa that allows Vendors to sell their products online to the Customers, which Platform is currently provided on the website www.jumia.co.za, and may be provided on different websites or applications in the future as Jumia may elect (the “Platform”);
3. The Vendor intends to sell products on the Platform according to the terms and conditions contained herein.
4. This Agreement expressly supersedes prior agreements or arrangements with the Vendor.
5. Guidelines will be available to Vendors for guidance on operations and will be displayed in the footer of SellerCenter. Guidelines are in addition to and shall be deemed a part of the present Agreement for the purposes of the applicable operating model, rules and services. Guidelines shall prevail over this Agreement in the event of a conflict.
6. Any update to the Agreement will be communicated to the Vendor, who will have 2 weeks to accept the terms. If the Vendor does not accept the terms, the Vendor Account will be suspended. If the Vendor accepts the Agreement, the new terms and conditions shall apply to all the orders processed after electronic acceptance of amendments and updates.
1. In this agreement, unless the context otherwise indicates
1.1. The singular shall include the plural and vice versa;
1.2. Reference to the masculine gender shall include the feminine gender and vice versa;
1.3. Natural persons shall include created entities (corporate or unincorporated) and vice versa; and
1.4. The headings in this Agreement are used for the sake of convenience and shall not govern the interpretation hereof.
2. “Account Manager” means a Jumia professional agent specialized in supporting the commercial growth of a Vendor on the Platform. The assignment of an Account Manager to a Vendor is solely at Jumia’s discretion;
3. “Business Day” means any day on which normal business is conducted and excludes Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays in the Republic of South Africa.
4. “Confidential Information” means the content of this Agreement, all the information and data acquired in connection with or for the purposes of this Agreement and any information that is not publicly available to third parties.
5. “Confirmation of Sale” means the notice confirming a sale sent by Jumia to the Vendor either via the Platform and/or via email. The Confirmation of Sale notice shall be presumed to have been received by the Vendor on the same date it was sent via the Platform and/or via email.
6. The “Customer” means Jumia customers who make online purchase orders on the Platform.
7. The “Order” means the purchase order completed by the Customer, stating his contact information and detailed description of the Product/s he wishes to purchase.
8. “Payment Method” means electronic payment, which includes but is not limited to payment by credit card, debit card, Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT),
9. The “Product” means the product/s offered on the Platform by the Vendor.
10. The “SellerCenter” means the online interface where Vendors administer and monitor their Product sales.
11. The “Invoice” means the invoice issued by the Vendor to the Customer.
12. The “Warehouse” means Jumia’s warehouse situated at Unit 6, 7 and 8 West Building, North Precinct, Topaz Boulevard, Montague Park, Cape Town.
Scope of services
1. The Vendor shall offer its Products to Customers on the Platform.
2. Jumia shall accept online purchase orders from the Customers in respect of the Vendor’s Products offered on the Platform, by way of an online application form on the Platform and completed by the Customer. The contract of sale is concluded between the Vendor and the Customer, subject to the Terms and Conditions published on the Platform.
3. The Vendor shall package the Product and deliver to Jumia’s Warehouse.
4. Jumia shall do a quality inspection before delivering the Product to the Customer and reserves the right to return the Product to the Vendor, at the Vendor’s expense, should the Product fail to meets Jumia’s quality standard.
5. The Vendor shall accept returns of all Products returned by Customers and accepted by Jumia, in line with Jumia’s return policy and/or this agreement.
6. Ownership of the Products shall vest in the Vendor until such time as the stock is sold, paid for in full (by the Customer to Jumia) and delivered to the Customer. On delivery, ownership in the Products shall vest in the Customer.
Jumia’s Rights and Obligations
1. Jumia shall display the Products specified by the Vendor, via the SellerCenter, on the Platform.
2. Jumia shall offer the Product/s for sale for the display price specified by the Vendor, via SellerCenter.
3. Jumia may use third party service providers to fulfil some part of the services to the Vendor and to the Customer.
4. Jumia shall have the right to reject products, descriptions of products and/or pictures of products specified by the Vendor, via the SellerCenter, in the event that those products and/or pictures do not meet Jumia’s quality standards, Jumia’s Photography and Images Guidelines. Should a product be rejected, Jumia will provide the Vendor with reasons for the rejection.
5. Jumia reserves the right to:
5.1. Remove the entire or a portion of a Product page which would contravene the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
5.2. Remove an image proposed by the Vendor for any reason, including but not limited to the following:
5.2.1. The image offends the sensibility of Customers or the image is not compliant with moral ethics.
5.2.2. The quality of the image does not match Photography and Images Guidelines, available in SellerCenter, in terms of quality or accuracy, or
6. Jumia shall send a Confirmation of Sale to the Vendor via the SellerCenter and/or by email.
7. Jumia shall be responsible for delivering the Product to the Customer at the Vendor’s expense.
8. At Jumia's discretion, it may provide the Vendor with analytics about the performance of the Vendor's products and additional marketing support.
9. Jumia will provide the Vendor with training material and the requisite support for the Vendor to build the level of competence and acquire the knowledge to operate on the Platform. Training may be provided online or offline. Jumia reserves the right to charge a fee for certain training programmes. Vendors may be required to attend training in order to be eligible to sell on the Platform.
Vendor's Rights and Obligations
1. Vendor Account
1.1. Every Vendor who lists Products on SellerCenter must create an account.
1.2. An account created in SellerCenter is for the Vendor’s exclusive use and cannot be transferred to a third party without Jumia’s prior written consent. It is prohibited for a Vendor to use the SellerCenter account for different points of sale. The Vendor understands and agrees that each SellerCenter account is for one unique point of sale and one email address.
1.3. The Vendor acknowledges that Vendor information shared with Jumia is necessary to provide the services.
1.4. The SellerCenter account is free and is created for an unlimited time. It can be closed at any time and without any notice to the Vendor.
2. Product Listing and Content
2.2. The Vendor authorises Jumia, by virtue of this Agreement, to market and sell the Product/s on the Platform to Customers on behalf of the Vendor, which pass quality control. The Vendor further authorises Jumia to divulge data and information about the Vendor and the Products on its Platform to the extent required for marketing.
2.3. The Vendor shall be responsible for listing its own products. The Vendor shall provide a detailed description of the Products and all relevant and necessary information to Jumia, via the SellerCenter, prior to displaying a Product on the Platform. This includes, but is not limited to, a detailed title and sub-title, prices, quantity, picture and description of the Product (complying with Content and Photography and Images Guidelines).
2.4. The Vendor grants Jumia the right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate and create other content and to distribute the content that the Vendor provides to describe the Products and the image itself for the duration of this Agreement.
2.5.Jumia offers Customers the opportunity to evaluate the Products on the Platform. Jumia will review these evaluations and may publish them, but reserves the right to delete ratings and reviews.
2.6. The Vendor acknowledges and undertakes that all the information relating to the Products provided to Jumia is true and does not violate any third party’s Intellectual Property Right. The Vendor further guarantees that this information satisfies all legal requirements, and in particular satisfies information requirements for consumer protection
2.7. The Vendor indemnifies Jumia against any third party claims resulting from the Product information provided by the Vendor and/or resulting from the product/s itself.
2.8. The Vendor must adhere to Jumia’s Prohibited and Restricted Products Policy.
2.9. Jumia may conduct audits and tests in respect of the Products provided by the Vendor to guarantee that the Products listed on the Platform are not counterfeit products. Listing of counterfeit products would be considered fraudulent activity and may lead to legal proceedings.
2.10. Every item sold shall be identical to its description on the Platform and to the image provided. Jumia may inspect the Products listed by the Vendor in order to check their conformity with the specifications mentioned by the Vendor on its SellerCenter and with the standards of quality stated in therein. In case of non-conformity with the technical characteristics, colour, image or in case of technical default, Jumia shall return the Product to the Vendor (and impose penalties as stipulated in the Guidelines). The Vendor shall not knowingly deceive a potential Customer by misrepresenting a Product.
2.11. The Vendor shall assume responsibility for the content it publishes on its Product page.
2.12. The Vendor agrees that because of lead time due to quality control, the Product page may not go online instantly.
3. Sale of the Products
3.1. The Vendor is responsible for setting the price of its Products on the Platform. The price must include taxes and comply with applicable laws in effect for the full duration of the listing.
3.2. The Vendor authorizes Jumia to accept binding sales on its behalf. Jumia will ensure that order data is passed on to the Vendor through SellerCenter within one (1) Business Day.
3.3. The Vendor does not have the right to contact the Customers directly and the Vendor agrees that Jumia is the owner of the Customer information.
3.4. The Vendor shall not send advertising or promotional emails to a Customer without the prior consent of Jumia and the Customer.
3.5. The Vendor is responsible for keeping an up-to-date inventory of all the Products displayed on the Platform and undertakes to immediately notify Jumia if any Product is out of stock via SellerCenter.
3.6. The Vendor must adhere to its range of Products and prices as provided to Jumia and as described on the Product listings on the Platform.
3.7. The Vendor acknowledges and undertakes that there are no ongoing criminal, insolvency or tax investigation proceedings or other penalties outstanding in relation to the Product. The Vendor further undertakes to take great care to keep his range of Products, stock count, prices and associated terms and conditions like delivery fees up to date.
4. Packaging and Fulfilment
4.1. The Vendor shall process the Order and prepare the packaging of the Product, with all reasonable care, on receipt of a Confirmation of Sale from Jumia. The Vendor shall package according to Delivery Guidelines.
4.2. Orders should be fulfilled and prepared by the Vendor in good order and quality, in line with Jumia’s quality standards, within one (1) Business Day from receipt of Confirmation of Sale from Jumia. Should the Vendor be unable to fulfil an Order submitted to it, it must notify Jumia within one (1) Business Day after receiving the Confirmation of Sale from Jumia.
4.3. The Vendor must package each order in a sealed plastic package and include the invoice inside the package while fixing the shipping label on the outside. The Vendor is responsible if any item within the package is missing.
5.1. If a Vendor submits Products using the Promotion Feature in SellerCenter, the Vendor agrees to sell the Products at the price entered into the Promotion Feature for the period mentioned in the Promotion description.
6.1. The Vendor shall deliver the Order, or arrange for a service provider to deliver the Order, to Jumia’s Warehouse within 1 ½ (One and a half) Business days after receipt of the Confirmation of Sale from Jumia.
6.2. The Vendor shall ensure that all the Products are the exact products delivered to the Warehouse. The Vendor can only deliver its Products during the opening hours of the Warehouse. When delivering its Products, the Vendor must provide the list of the products and quantities delivered to Jumia.
1. Penalties may be instituted in the case of non-compliance by the Vendor with Jumia’s quality commitments to its Customers at Jumia’s discretion.
2. If instituted, penalties shall be awarded to compensate Jumia for any extra effort required to meet our mission of providing quality products to Customers, and to protect the best interest of the Jumia brand. The following are usual offences that may be subject to penalties:
2.1. sale of counterfeit products and non-conformity to the Prohibited and Restricted Products Policy;
2.2. slow fulfilment of orders;
2.3. cancellation of orders and out of stock;
2.4. non-compliance with Packaging Guidelines;
2.5. high rate of Returns of products according to Jumia’s discretion;
2.6. breach/infringement of any applicable law and regulations.
3. The Penalties shall be described and instituted in accordance with the Penalty Guidelines.
Commission and Payment Terms
Commission, fees and Payment Terms shall be described and instituted in accordance with the Commission and Payment Terms in Jumia’s Operating Guidelines.
1. The Parties acknowledge and agree that Jumia has the right to amend/modify the general terms and conditions of the Platform at any time and without giving any justification. In this case, Jumia will furnish the Vendor with notice of intended amendments/modifications via email, at least three (3) days prior to making the changes. If the Vendor does not object to these amendments/modifications in writing within three (3) Business Days of delivery of the notice, the changed terms and conditions will be considered accepted by the Vendor.
3. The Parties acknowledge and agree that Jumia may carry out changes to the Platform or the service, or suspend the service, without notice to the Vendor.
Customer Returns shall be described and instituted in accordance with the Returns Policy in Jumia’s Operating Guidelines.
1. The Parties acknowledge and agree that Jumia does not guarantee the quality or the condition of the sold Products. The Vendor acknowledges that all the Products are free from defects in design, materials and workmanship, clear of any liens, claims and encumbrances and comply with all relevant laws, regulations and requirements. The Vendor also acknowledges that the Products are of merchandisable quality, fit for the particular purpose for which they are intended and match their description. The Vendor undertakes to indemnify Jumia against any third party claims relating to the quality or the condition of the sold Products or resulting from the Vendor’s violation of any of the applicable laws or regulations.
2. Jumia does not guarantee that the Platform will be free from all malfunctions, but will exercise all reasonable care and skill to resolve any such issue.
3. VAT liability for the product sold rests with the Vendor and Jumia shall not be responsible for any VAT issues that may arise.
4. Jumia does not guarantee any commercial results to the Vendor concerning the products that the Vendor puts on Jumia’s platform.
5. Jumia shall not be held responsible for any prejudice and direct or indirect damages of whatsoever nature done to the Vendor because of the use, interruption or dysfunction of Jumia’s website, mobile website, Android Application or any other service provided by Jumia.
6. Jumia, its subcontractors and suppliers shall not be responsible for any delays or impossibility to fulfil their contractual obligations in case of:
6.1. force majeure;
6.2. interruption of the website connection because of maintenance operations or refreshing information published;
6.3. momentary inability to have access to the website or mobile application because of a technical problem;
6.4. hacking or any other cause which interrupts the access to the internet laws, restrictions, regulations, bye-laws, prohibitions or measures of any kind on the part of any governmental, parliamentary or local authority, import or export regulations or embargoes;
6.5. interruption of traffic;
6.6. interruption of production or operation, difficulties in obtaining labour, fuel, parts or machinery;
6.7. power failure or breakdown in machinery.
7. The Vendor acknowledges that due to unforeseen technical challenges of telecommunication operators, the permanent availability of www.Jumia.co.za cannot be guaranteed.
1. The Parties undertake that, for the duration of this Agreement and for one (1) year after termination, they will not disclose, provide, copy or otherwise make available to any third party any Confidential Information of any kind concerning the other Party except to the extent necessary to implement this Agreement and perform the marketing services stated thereto, this includes, but is not limited to, the content of this Agreement, all the information and data acquired in connection or for the purposes of this Agreement. The Parties undertake to comply with all applicable privacy laws and handle accordingly all data related to Customers, Vendors and business partners.
2. Upon termination of this Agreement each Party must immediately return to the other Party all material in its possession which contains Confidential Information of the other Party.
Intellectual Property Rights
1. For the purposes of this Agreement, the Parties acknowledge and agree that Jumia has the right to utilize the Products and the Vendor’s name, logos, listings, trademarks, intellectual property rights and significant signs by several means and forms for marketing purposes and disclose the relationship with the Vendor.
2. The Vendor grants to Jumia a royalty-free, unrestricted license to use and distribute any materials provided by the Vendor to Jumia, for the purpose of advertising Jumia's service. In particular, this includes using it in Google AdWords campaigns, domain name registrations and other online marketing and search engine optimization measures for the duration of the Agreement.
Representation and Warranties
1. The Vendor represents and warrants that:
1.1. It has good title to, and is the sole beneficial owner of, the Products supplied to Jumia under this Agreement;
1.2. As at the date of this Agreement, the Vendor is not aware of any claim for infringement of Intellectual Property Rights or for the breach of any obligation of confidence, arising out of the manufacture, sale or use of the Products, having made reasonable investigations in this regard, and will immediately notify Jumia should such a claim arise;
1.3. It will, at no further cost to Jumia, procure for Jumia all licenses reasonable and necessary to fulfil the services;
1.4. The Intellectual Property relating to the Product does not and will not infringe any rights of third parties;
1.5. The provision of the Products to Jumia does not and will not infringe the rights (including, but not limited to, Intellectual Property Rights) of any third party;
1.6. It has the right, power and authority to enter into and perform its obligations in accordance with this Agreement;
1.7. All corporate and other necessary action has been taken to authorise the signing and performance of this Agreement; and
1.8. This Agreement is valid and legally binding on the Vendor.
2. The Vendor further warrants that the Products will:
(a) Be free from defects in design, materials and workmanship;
(b) Be of good quality, and shall be useable and durable for a reasonable period of time;
(c) Be fit for the purpose they are generally intended; and
(d) Meet the relevant Standards and comply with all relevant laws, regulations and Standards;
1. The Vendor shall be liable for and hereby indemnifies Jumia against proven liabilities, claims, proceedings, judgments, damages, obligations, costs and expenses of any nature (including legal fees on the scale most favourable to Jumia and court costs), arising in any manner out of the Vendor’s conduct (acts and/or omissions), or those of the Vendor’s employees, agents or contractors, whether in delict, contract or otherwise, including:
(a) Personal injury or the death of any person;
(b) Loss of or damage to any property; and
(c) Breach of any representation or warranty contained in this Agreement.
2. It is not necessary for Jumia to incur any cost or expense or make any payment before enforcing a right of indemnity conferred by clause 14.1, and Jumia shall be entitled to require the Vendor to step into the Jumia’s shoes, and/or to do all such things and incur all such costs as may be reasonably necessary to give effect to the indemnity in this clause, but such costs shall first be discussed and agreed with Jumia.
3. The indemnities provided shall survive the termination of this Agreement.
Jumia shall insure the Products against reasonable risk during the time that the Products are in Jumia’s possession, while the Vendor shall effect and maintain at its own expense a suitable insurance policy in respect of any events which may arise in connection with this Agreement.
Any amendments to this Agreement or the Guideline will be communicated to the Vendor by email and SellerCenter account notification. The Vendor will have two (2) weeks to accept amendments to the Agreement or to communicate its disagreement. If the Vendor does not agree within the two (2) weeks’ timeline, its SellerCenter account will be suspended.
Amendments to the Guidelines will be effective upon Jumia posting such updated Guidelines in SellerCenter. The Vendor’s continued access or use of the SellerCenter after such posting constitutes the Vendor’s consent to be bound by the Guidelines, as amended.
The Parties acknowledge and agree that the rights and duties created by this Agreement are personal to the Parties and that it was granted in reliance upon their individual or collective character and business ability, therefore neither Party may assign this Agreement wholly or partially without the prior written consent of the other Party.
The Parties acknowledge and agree that there is no representation, warranty, collateral agreement or condition affecting this Agreement except as expressed in it.
The Parties acknowledge and agree that the provisions of this Agreement are severable and if any provision in this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable under any competent jurisdiction, such invalidity or enforceability will be restricted only to the this provision and will not in any manner effect the validity or enforceability of the other provisions in this Agreement. The parties will endeavour to replace the invalid clause by a valid one that reproduces as closely as possible the intended economic meaning of the invalid clause.
Jumia and the Vendor are acting hereunder as independent contractors. Vendor will not be considered or deemed as an agent, employee, joint venture or partner of Jumia. The Vendor’s personnel will not be considered employees of Jumia, will not be entitled to any benefits that Jumia grants it’s employees and will have no authority to act on Jumia’s behalf.
Term and Termination
1. Duration of Agreement
This Agreement will remain in full force and effect until it is terminated by either Party by serving a thirty (30) day written notice of termination on the other Party. The rights and obligations generated during this notice period are still subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
2. Immediate Termination by Jumia
Jumia may terminate this Agreement immediately if the Vendor fails to satisfy a minimum level of operational performance in order to provide a satisfactory Customer experience of purchase on the Platform. Termination on this basis shall be at Jumia’s sole discretion.
Jumia may also terminate this Agreement with immediate effect where the Vendor repeatedly receives negative ratings and reviews which are not unjustified or where Vendor repeatedly provides misleading information or withholds information required to present the Vendor’s products. For the avoidance of doubt, typos, mistakes and transmission errors shall not be grounds for immediate termination of this Agreement unless they are intentionally caused or caused by gross negligence. or
If the Vendor fails to fulfil any of its obligations or undertakings stated in clause 5 of this Agreement.
Consequences of Termination
1. The Parties will settle within a maximum period of 1 month any amounts due in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
2. Termination of this Agreement is without prejudice to any of the rights, remedies or obligations of the Parties existing at the time of termination and the obligation to pay any amounts due and/or payable hereunder.
Breach of Agreement
1. Jumia may:
1.1. Terminate this Agreement with immediate effect, if the Vendor is in breach of its obligations under this agreement and such breach is not remedied within 7 (Seven) days of receiving a notice of breach from Jumia; or
1.2. Terminate this Agreement on the occurrence of the third breach, if the Vendor commits a breach of this Agreement on any 3 (Three) occasions in a rolling 6 (Six) month period; or
1.3. Impose appropriate penalties, such as delisting/suspension of the Vendor from the Platform for an appropriate period.
Governing Law and Dispute Resolution
This Agreement is governed by and construed in accordance with the substantive laws of the Republic of South Africa. Any dispute arising out of the execution, interpretation or termination of this Agreement will be settled by any competent Court in the Republic of South Africa.
Privacy and Data Protection
1. In performing their responsibilities under this Agreement, the Parties shall comply with the provisions of the prevailing privacy and data protection legislation governing the collection, use and processing of Personal Information as defined in the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013.
2. The Vendor shall at all times during the performance of its obligations in terms of this Agreement ensure that (a) no data collected from any person during the supply of the Products, is sold, disclosed, commercially exploited, or used in any way other than as expressly authorised by Jumia and (b) ensure that it processes data for only the express purpose for which it was obtained.
3. The Vendor consents to the collection, processing and further processing of its personal information (including personal information contained in electronic communications) by the Purchaser for the purposes of implementing this Agreement and facilitating the supply of the Products.